Nov 28, 2005

Divine hand.

So, the last week seems as if it was three weeks, just so much got crammed in to the days just prior to and around the holiday there was some kind of weird Hawkin’s time phenomena going on. Really, raking the yard (last Monday) feels like it was a month ago.

Sometime between Thursday night and Friday morning a tree fell on the side of the house. I don’t mean the tree fell on the house, just a tree that sits along one side of the house came down. Maybe I better qualify that, a portion of a tree came down. As long as it didn’t actually hit the house, there wouldn’t really be much of a problem but, the tree in question is one of several that sits right at the edge of the lot which just so happens to adjoin the neighbors’ driveway.

They have two cars which are usually parked right up alongside that tree too.

One of the cars is a brand new replacement for the Saburu which got totaled in an accident over the summer. Mysteriously, the car was absent most of the weekend. Needless to say, this caused a small amount of concern on my part - I like these neighbors, they are nice people and believe me having lived here for many years having nice neighbors can be something of a crapshoot so, I didn’t want anything to foul the nice détente we have going on.

The car was gone for a few days over the long holiday weekend, my hope was that my neighbors had taken a trip for the weekend as opposed to bringing the car to the body shop. I was hoping providence had made an appearance and any property of the neighbor’s had been spared from the falling foliage.

Tonight when I got home, I spied both cars in the driveway and thought before anything I ought to at least check and see if everything was alright. As fate would have it, the top of the tree fell missing everything (albeit narrowly) so, there wasn’t anything to worry about.

I try to be a good neighbor and part of that means not getting into others business so outside of the cursory hello and passing pleasantry there isn’t much interaction between me and the neighbors. Again, they’re nice people so why foul it - familiarity breeds contempt and all that.

They weren’t aware of the EYOC’s extended stay in the hospital so while I was over there and when they asked after him I had to update them on the situation. Like I said, they’re nice people and asked if I needed anything (which I politely begged off) but I appreciated the sentiment.

I got inside and set about getting settled in, not more than five minutes could have passed before I heard a knock at the door downstairs. There was one of the neighbor’s kids with a plate of Thanksgiving leftovers, I started to say no, but then though what a nice gesture and took the plate from the youngster.

It’s nice to have good neighbors.

No comments: